NV’s Master Chef

I know, I know, I’ve been gone for so long. But I have been drowning in homework, time with friends, and meetings. I promise I’m having fun, but in order to do so, I need to take time away from my laptop, which means I don’t spend that extra time posting on my blog. I have been working on this post for some time though, because, while I’m not on my laptop, I like spending more time in my kitchen. My favorite thing about the North Village (NV) apartments is the kitchen. It might be shared between 4 people….BUT IT’S STILL A KITCHEN!

Another awesome part of this experience of cooking in my apartment is the source of my groceries. I don’t have a car, and while I don’t mind asking a friend every now and then for a ride to the grocery store, sometimes I just want a couple of veggies and some cooked meat, and the Dining Hall (DH) is always there for me. I have purchased my meal plan with a certain amount of swipes to the DH and certain amount of palapoints ($$$ for other dining options like chick-fil-A, Moe’s, sushi, Einstein’s, etc), and while I love the food there, sometimes I just want to do it my way. So, I swipe in for a meal, grab a to-go-box, and head to the salad bar where I can find all my favorite fresh veggies. I select what I want, I get some good cheese, maybe pick some nice sides, or some meat to embody in my entree, and DH grocery shopping is a success!

Also, this year I established Saturdays as my baking days. If I don’t have to give a tour or sit on a student panel for a Showcase Saturday or another admission event, I wake up and head to the kitchen to start my weekend off productively in a creative and fun way!

Since I was really young I liked spending time creating things in the kitchen, whether those were recreations of my grandma’s traditional Greek recipes, or recipes I found online and tried for the first time (surprisingly successfully may I add), or just putting together random ingredients that seemed like they’d go together. Cooking is super relaxing and energizing for me. I guess the kitchen is sort of my safe place. So here I am to present to you some of my NV kitchen creations.

!!!!Be warned, I am not good at food styling, so they might not look suuuuper attractive, but I promise all food tasted delicious!!!

Oh and I’m perfectly aware I am using mostly the same ingredients, but HEY AT LEAST IT’S NOT PASTA ALL THE TIME. I’m still a college student, give me a break.

Teriyaki chicken and white rice
Pasta with DH groceries (cherry tomatoes, spinach, and beef) and parmesan cheese
Spinach, blistered tomatoes, goat cheese and grilled chicken
Sunday brunch in bed-2 fried eggs, hash browns, avocado, cream cheese and toasted bread bites, side of arugula, tomato, goat cheese and balsamic vinegar salad.
Simple dinner-grilled chicken tenders and spinach, tomato and feta cheese salad
Saturday bakes- chocolate vanilla swirl coffee cake
Saturday bakes-Nutella flutes (aka how Danai uses leftover phyllo dough)
The best dank mashed potatoes you’ll ever have, served with fresh grounded black pepper
Saturday bakes- BAKLAVA CAUSE I’M GREEK OPA!