Back at Furman

Hey, my name is Gar. I am a junior Communication Studies and Computing & Applied Mathematics double major. To paraphrase Parks & Recreation, I like people, places, & things, and Furman is my favorite place in the world. If you can’t already tell, I love television and someday hope to work in the television industry. Just come up to me and start a conversation about any television show, and chances are I will already have an opinion on it and would love to talk to you about it. I just hope you like my blog, and learning more about my life.

Moving back on campus to start my junior year was much needed and very exciting. I couldn’t wait to move back on campus, and be back in the swing of things. This year is clearly going to be the hardest one yet, but the most rewarding.

My hall after speed-dating with a girls hall

This year I joined housing staff as a First Year Advisor, or a FRAD. As a FRAD, I live on a freshman hall and give academic advice to my residents whenever they need it as well as emotional support and planning hall activities. In a way, I’m sort of an assistant RA. My hall is great, and I’m glad I chose this job. My residents decided to do a fantasy football league, and of course I joined and drafted as many Patriots players as I could. I didn’t do so well the first week, but I have hope for the rest of the season.

This year has already had so many great events (and so many more to come). I already went to the My Tie dance with my residents. My Tie is a tradition that every freshman participates in.  All of the freshmen receive a tie and go on a “group date” with a people with the same color time from corresponding halls. It’s a great time, and a way for the freshmen to get to know more of their class (it’s also fun to make my residents uncomfortable on their “dates”). I’ve also gone to the opening football game against Coastal Carolina and a men’s soccer game against Clemson. Unfortunately, neither of these games were wins, but they were a lot of fun. I was also able to play kickball with my building which was a great time and I was even able to get a person out (which is a great win for me because I’m bad at sports). My friend invited me to the Kappa Kappa Gamma rave, and this year it was America themed. It was a blast, and I can’t want until the next function.

Of course, I’m going to all my classes and learning a lot. This year is off to a great start, and I can’t wait to see what happens next!

IMG_0889    IMG_0902

IMG_0063    IMG_0003