Expectations

I am very excited to become a part of the StudioLab team. Not only will I have a paying “job” on campus—which my parents are very excited about—but it is also a job that I will be very passionate about. Since I was very young, I have been obsessed with reading and writing. I was reading chapter books in kindergarten and began writing my first full-length novel in the fifth grade, which now seems more like a soap opera than the masterpiece I saw in elementary school, but the point is still there.

I have always loved words. I love the way they can be manipulated into beautiful sentences that create visuals, emotions, and stories. Up until high school, I thought I was going to be a writer. My family and friends thought so too, probably because they simply noticed that I wrote a lot and didn’t actually read the content. However, in high school, I realized that some of my peers were much more gifted at storytelling than I was, and my little dream disappeared. Although it is no longer the foundation for the rest of my life, writing has continued to be something I enjoy and am good at.

That being said, attending college at a small liberal arts university has sparked that passion in me again. Writing long papers is exciting for me rather than challenging or boring and I happily anticipate writing (and sometimes reading) assignments. Of course, I don’t always get the marks that I would like, but if I’m proud of the work I hand in I am content anyway.

I’m looking forward to the opportunities that the StudioLab will bring involving working with others’ writing. I do expect to be nervous at first. However, I am expecting to have opportunities to observe other consultants until I am completely at ease with the processes.

Overall, I am confident that this will be something I enjoy and something I will succeed at. I am most looking forward to helping students transform a difficult assignment into something they are proud to turn in, a goal that IDS 259 helped me with.  IDS 259 definitely prepared me to think in a way I had not been exposed to before and I’m looking forward to bringing that mindset as well as StudioLab training into daily work that I can enjoy.