In the Roommate Survey We Trust

I am here to confirm the rumors… You do not pick your roommate when you come to Furman; you fill out a roommate survey and then you are matched with the right person. I know this sounds scary, but trust me… You definitely want to trust the survey! It is best to FIRST become good roommates, and THEN become good friends. And this cannot happen if you are incompatible. Also, make sure that you DO NOT fill out the survey dishonestly (even if your parents tell you to), for one of two things will happen: either you will fib on the survey for your parents’ sake, or your parents will tell you how to answer the questions. Which means that if you really go to bed around 12:00, you may be placed with a roommate who goes to bed at 9:00 (since duh most parents want this), or if you are a messy person, you might end up with a clean person. Little things like this will cause little arguments… Which will eventually lead into big arguments… And finally, before you know it, a roommate switch. You do not want to have to go through this; it’s like move in day all over again, and it can potentially hurt your friendship with your roommate. Now time for a success story… MY OWN! My roommate and I never met until move-in day, and trust me… I was SCARED. What if we didn’t get along? What if we hated each other? Of course, everything worked out. My roommate and I are best friends and we do everything together! I could not be happier with my housing as a freshman. If you are still unsure about the survey, think of it this way: Furman wouldn’t continue to do the roommate survey if it didn’t work, right? You’re in more-than-capable hands 🙂