A Crazy Update

This week has been a whirlwind! As the semester quickly draws to a close, every thing is piling up. All of that aside, I also contracted a rather fierce virus last weekend while home on Easter break. The worst thing about getting sick in college is probably that you have to be sick alone, without the support and care of your family and a nice couch to sink into. Luckily, since I was already home, I was able to have those things as my parents nursed me back to health. Unfortunately, recuperating at home also meant missing two days of class. As luxurious as that sounds, missing two days of college classes can set you back a good week on all of your work. In my case I also missed two tests that I’m in the process of making up. Since arriving back on campus Wednesday night I have done nothing but complete makeup work, study for tests, and finish actual assignments so as not to fall behind again.

In the midst of all this craziness, I’ve been trying to set aside time to have some fun. This past Thursday, FUSAB hosted Sam Hunt in Timmons Arena for our annual spring performance. Even though I was still foggy from being sick and exhausted from the massive amounts of work I had piled up, I’m so glad that I went! Sam Hunt is an amazing performer. He’s technically a country singer but he draws influences from R&B and rap, resulting in an interesting sound. Towards the end, he and his band mates jammed on their guitars, playing covers from the 80s and 90s. I most definitely approve of FUSAB’s choice this year and I can’t wait to see whom they get to come next year.

After attending the concert Thursday night, I had planned to stay in the library all weekend and hopefully get back on track. That plan quickly changed, however, when a friend of mine decided we should make an impromptu trip to the Traveler’s Rest Grocery store where they were having a festival. There were local venders there selling cool little trinkets and one even brought some baby goats! We also walked through downtown TR. Somehow it’s April and that was my first real excursion through our neighboring town. We went into a bunch of shops and got smoothies from TReats.

It is now Sunday and after procrastinating all weekend it’s time to get some actual work done. That being said, I’m glad I took the time to go out and have some fun this weekend. Furman is incredibly tough and it can be easy to focus solely on your studies, but even though school is important, it isn’t every thing. I only have a few more weekends here and I intend to make each one of them count!

The goats at the market!
The goats at the market!
Sam Hunt killing it at Timmons!
Sam Hunt killing it at Timmons!