The Sophomore Slump

As I begin my second year of college, I am finding myself slowly falling into what is commonly referred to as the “sophomore slump.” Gone are the fun, light-hearted days of freshmen year when I didn’t need to know exactly what I was doing. Back when I had eons of time to take random classes and dapple in three different majors and still be on the four-year track. No, now I am running head-on towards the giant, ticking clock that is my future. Now people want a real answer to the question, “What is your major?”

It’s certainly a trying time to be a sophomore in college. On the one hand you have people telling you that you can be anything and do anything, quoting the do-what-makes-you-happy approach as the sure ticket to success. Then on the other hand you have to face the harsh realities of life in the real world, where doing what you like to do and doing what you need to do are two very different things. It’s confusing really, especially for those of us who are decision-challenged, we who feel that 19 is just too darn young to have to map out our whole lives.

So in the face of this imminent fate I feel there is only one thing to do: let it be. We’ve all seen what happens when you try to fit a square peg into a round hole: nothing but disappointment and frustration. The same concept applies to our lives. The truth is, we are young. Yes, we may have to make these decisions now, but choices are never set in stone, and honestly, ten years from now, no one will care what your major was. Nineteen is not the end-all-be-all. There’s no way for us to know exactly what is in store for us in the real world. We can’t guess how or when something incredible might happen that will change everything. As we learn and grow and evolve, so too do our needs and the things we require in order to be happy.

I think we all want to have this epiphany that will show us the light. We want to choose a path and follow it all the way through. But I’ve come to realize that that’s not how life works, and that’s okay. That’s what makes life interesting and breathtaking and worthwhile. In the meantime, if you are a sophomore like me and standing in the middle of six different crossroads, remember to breathe. Find happiness in the little things, seek out that which will make you more alive, and have faith that you’ll find your path.

Nothing like a view of the lake to de-stress!