Round 2

Freshman year, done. Adventure filled summer, done. Sophomore year, currently in session.

I’m back at Furman for my sophomore year and I couldn’t be happier. Technically sophomore means “wise fool” – essentially one who think they know all but learns they don’t. This year is going to be filled with a lot of those experiences and the best part of it is y’all get to read all about them without having to experience them. I will make all the mistakes and you will get to learn from my mistakes also I will get to have all the fun and you will have to read about it – so I guess we both win in the end.

I want to recap my summer for you because then you will understand the mindset in which I’m entering this year (btw there’s a bunch of photos at the bottom of this post).

First I got to go back home in May to my motherland – Texas. I was reunited with my family, my dog, and my bed. All was right in this world until I got my wisdom teeth pulled. As much as I love Texas, I was soon back on campus to intern in the Office of Admission here at Furman. I interned under 3 counselors and gave about 4 tours a day. Was I exhausted from all the letters I hand wrote, the made the coffee, and walked campus 4 times a day – yes, I would be lying if I said I didn’t. But was it the best experience? Most Definitely! I worked with 6 other students (including the lovely Courtney German who is also blogging this year). We had only known of each other on campus before the internship started and we ended up as family. I think the best part of the job was every day I told people why I love Furman and it reaffirmed my decision that I made the right decision. Also I got to have the weekends to explore this part of the country I now call home. Whether it was the Gaffney Peach Festival in , day trip to Asheville,  road trip to Charleston,visiting a variety of farmers markets on a Saturday, or poetry slams in downtown Greenville on a Sunday evening, I became more appreciative of the Upstate as I didn’t have to worry about school.

Anyways I’m glad to have this opportunity this year to share my life with you, I know many of you who are reading this are prospective students and anxious parents so please say hello in the comments and send questions my way. Also hi mom and dad.

Well its monday night, I’m tired, I’m going to bed. Please look at the pictures and read the captions they will give you an idea of my summer and my first couple of weeks back at Furman. See y’all soon!

– nm