Several times recently I have been asked the question “What is one thing that has surprised you the most since attending Furman?”
I believe I responded with-the opportunities and the people. That was somewhat of a spontaneous response (the first thing that popped into my head,) but I do like that response.
College in general is a place to explore, but Furman has provided opportunities in my exploration. For example, along with Michael, I have been a part of the Furman Creative Collaborative which is hosting a TED Conference. As a freshman, I have been able to get involved to really get the inside look at how students can independently run an organization and make things happen. Not only do I get to be a part of this organization, but I get to work with students who are excited about something. They are all involved and invested in the success of the student body. The people in the many different groups in which I am involved really push me to succeed. I have blindly gone into some clubs unsure of my purpose, but the excitement of others makes me excited.
I cannot say that I have found my passion, but I have found people who make me passionate. They are there to provide opportunities for me, and that gives me hope.
Opportunities and people. There are many other things that have surprised me though.
1. The abundance of squirrels on campus is honestly a surprise. You just wouldn’t expect so many squirrels…
2. I am surprised to see that I adapted to living in a dorm so quickly. Everyone is in the same living space, so it was a quick adjustment.
3. I am surprised that my habits in high school, good and bad, have indeed followed me. This includes things such as eating breakfast, going to bed early….I thought I would lose some of these things when I came to college.
4. It is surprising to see some of the things I couldn’t live without now. These things include a sports watch, rain shoes, a backpack, a laptop, pictures on my walls…I never knew a watch would be so essential to my life.
5. It is especially surprising to see where people come from. I am always shocked to hear of the person who comes from a farm or of the person whose grandfather is actually royalty or something. In college, I only know of people what they tell me, so finding out about their home life is always a surprise.
Chi O “Superlative” Function
I was elected ‘Most Likely to be President.’
My date dressed as secret service and held my campaign posters. I added my face to my brother’s actual student body president campaign.
Most likely to be: President, (w)rapper, Miss America, Biker Chick, Miss America