Tip and Tricks

The 2014-2015 academic year is quickly coming to an end. It’s crazy to think that it’s been 8 months since I moved into my dorm and now I’m going to be moving out in a week. As I look back on this year, I realize that I’ve learned a lot. Here are just a few of the things I’ve discovered during my sophomore year:

1. Get to class early on the first day of class – There’s nothing more crucial when beginning a new round of classes than getting a good seat. Even though I’m in college and about 7 years past assigned seats, I still have to snag my unassigned assigned seat that first day of class.
  2. Get to the library at an opportune time – Throughout the semester you start to learn when the library will be crowded. You have to plan it so that you get there when most people are out doing other things so you can set up camp at your favorite study spot.
  3. Don’t let yourself get behind on your studies – Furman is hard, but if you stay on top of things, it’s manageable. If you fall behind even a few days, it can take a week to get back on track, believe me.
  4. Take a walk around the lake – We are so lucky to attend such a beautiful school. Take time out of your busy study schedule to take in the scenery and just breath. There is a world outside of the library, I promise.
  5. Make time to do the things you love – It’s really easy to get caught up in the mountains of work that Furman is famous for assigning. School is important, but make sure you also focus on what makes you happy. For me, that’s volunteering at the Greenville Humane Society so I can play with puppies. Whatever your passion, allow yourself time to get lost in it.
  6. Learn the DH hacks – When you eat at the dining hall 2 meals a day, 7 days a week, it can get pretty repetitive. Get creative with your meals. Take a tortilla and cheese from the sandwich section and make a quesadilla. Mix up cereal, peanut butter, and chocolate chips for a sweet treat. Look past the basic options they offer and create something new. Your taste buds will thank you.
  7. Take advantage of the surrounding town (both of them) – Furman does a great job of detailing all the great things that downtown Greenville has to offer. Downtown is awesome, and definitely a place to explore, but don’t forget about Traveler’s Rest and the other surrounding areas. If you’re feeling adventurous, bike to TR and grab brunch at Williams Hardware or a smoothie at TReats. Hike around Paris Mountain…adventure is out there!
  8. Call your parents – Friends come and go, but family is forever. You’re stuck with them whether you like it or not.
  9. Take a nap – There is nothing more glorious in this world than a nice three-hour Friday afternoon nap. Treat yourself.
  10. Enjoy yourself – As Eleanor Roosevelt so eloquently put it, “Today is the oldest you’ve ever been, and the youngest you’ll ever be again.” Do what you want and be who you want. These are the best four years of your life; take advantage of them.
    My favorite study spot!
    My favorite study spot!
    Alex - one of my canine buddies from the Greenville Humane Society.
    Alex – one of my canine buddies from the Greenville Humane Society.

Homecoming fun with some friends from home!