Sweet Potatoes with Dates, Pecans, and Gorgonzola

Move over marshmallows and brown sugar… we have a new (and tastier!) sweet potato topper in town.

Special thanks to recent Furman grad (‘14) Ellen Barr and her father for sharing with me a new website called Budget Bytes.  The recipes on this website are inexpensive and usually very healthy!

I have made several so far including Confetti Chickpea Salad, Roasted Vegetables with Chickpeas and Feta, and my favorite—Sweet Potatoes with Dates, Pecans, and Gorgonzola.

I always seem to have a carton of pitted dates in the pantry.  My kids like to snack on a few with some almonds.  They are super sweet like candy but do not have any added sugar.

Sweet Potatoes with Chopped Dates, Pecans, and Gorgonzola

Ingredients

Sweet Potatoes

Pitted dates, chopped into little pieces

Chopped pecans

Gorgonzola cheese (optional)

Directions

Bake sweet potatoes in the oven (400 degrees for 45-60 minutes) or microwave until a fork pierced through a potato meets little resistance.  Meanwhile, chop the pitted dates into little pieces.  I like to chop the pitted dates instead of purchasing chopped dates.  Chopped dates are coated in dextrose to keep them from sticking together and don’t taste quite the same to me.

Once the potatoes are cooked, top sweet potatoes with dates, pecans, and Gorgonzola if desired.

We served them with Mango Coconut Fish (purchased from Whole Foods frozen fish market), Kale Salad with Lemon and Parmesan, and Sliced Tomatoes.