Did you know that 1 out of 3 cancers may be preventable?

Did you know that 1 out of 3 cancers may be preventable through healthier lifestyle choices?  World Cancer Day is February 4, 2014.  This is an opportunity to increase awareness about the importance of healthier behaviors and early detection.

As a young adult, I thought that I was invincible.  I believed that cancer was something that happened later in life.  And it was something that happened to “other” people… certainly not me.  Boy, was I wrong.

I was diagnosed with melanoma, the most malignant form of skin cancer, at the age of 27.  I hadn’t sunbathed in years, but the poor choices of my youth had come back to pay me a visit.  At the time, I was pregnant with my first child and melanoma was the last thing that I wanted to think about.  I faced thoughts and fears of death, and of losing my child.

Fortunately, we detected and treated my melanoma early and I was given a favorable prognosis.  But I learned the hard way that our choices early in life CAN and WILL affect us later.

Check out this World Cancer Day Video about some steps that you can start to make today (click image):

Thumbnail

The American Institute for Cancer Research also provides the following guidelines for reducing your risk for multiple forms of cancer:

Nutrition and Physical Activity Guidelines

Be as lean as possible without becoming underweight.
Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day.
Avoid sugary drinks. Limit consumption of energy-dense foods (particularly processed foods high in added sugar, or low in fiber, or high in fat).
Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes such as beans.
Limit consumption of red meats (such as beef, pork and lamb) and avoid processed meats.
If consumed at all, limit alcoholic drinks to 2 for men and 1 for women a day.
Limit consumption of salty foods and foods processed with salt (sodium).
Don’t use supplements to protect against cancer.

Special Population Recommendations

It is best for mothers to breastfeed exclusively for up to 6 months and then add other liquids and foods.
After treatment, cancer survivors should follow the recommendations for cancer prevention.

And always remember – do not smoke or chew tobacco.

visit www.aicr.org for more information