Library Gives 3 Scholarships

Ethel Carlisle Southern Librarianship Scholarship for 2011 has been awarded to the following students:

Kelly Leonard — ’11
Megan Slemons — ’08
Melissa Troyer — ’11

The scholarship, established in 1985, is available to a Furman rising or graduating senior who anticipates becoming a Librarian or a Furman graduate who has been accepted into an American Library Association accredited graduate program. Traditionally, the scholarship has been awarded to a single recipient. This year, three of the five applicants proved equally deserving of the award. Each student will receive $3,000. (The amount and number of awards varies each year.)

Kelly was accepted to the University of Kentucky and the University of South Carolina. She will attend USC. Kelly says: “After working at the Circulation Desk, I realized how much I truly enjoy working in an institution that works to preserve knowledge.”

Megan was accepted to the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and USC. She will attend Chapel Hill. She says: “Working in the library was among my most valuable and enjoyable college experiences . . .”

Melissa was accepted to UNC Chapel Hill and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She will attend Chapel Hill. Melissa says: “For me, the search process is one of the most rewarding experiences in the library, and I am excited about guiding other people and sharing the thrill of the hunt with them.”

We congratulate each recipient and wish them much success in library school!

Events, Library Services Tagged