Sculpture

For my art piece created for Greenbelt, I made a shadowbox. In the box, the background consists of three elements. The top is blue, representing the natural world. I wanted to leave this part up to interpretation a bit, so people can either see the sky or the ocean. The green line is a piece of wood I carved that is the pattern of global temperature change over the last 150 years. The bottom is layers of trash separated by rolled up dollar bills. This is meant to look like sediment layers, and also shows what is propping up climate change. Our culture of profit seeking and disposable products is destroying our environment. The center focal point is a dead tree I carved on a sand bed. This represents the ecological impacts of climate change, and the sand shows water issues, especially in the American west. This piece has a lot of personal interest and experience that I drew from to make it. For example, the tree looks like a tree that is atop a mountain I hike with my friends when I am back in Colorado. I really enjoyed making this project and taking the time to visualize the concepts I’ve heard so much about in classes.