Krissy Gear – Artist Statement

Krissy Gear

As someone who lacks the artistic skills that others are endowed with, I decided to use that to my advantage for the composition of my piece. I opted for a very simple aesthetic, to convey my simple (yet important!) message. Something so easily done— yet still so easily forgotten— is the menial task of flipping the switch before leaving a place. I have illustrated a light switch in my drawing, but this can be widely assigned to any type of power switch. I drew my inspiration from the shocking number of times I witness lights left on, illuminating a room with no occupants! This is one of my biggest pet peeves (along with running copious amounts of water without adequate justification for doing so, but we can save that rant for another time), especially when I go home: my stepmom loves to leave all the lights on downstairs before she goes to bed. Leaving lights on seems discreet enough but leaves a noticeable impact on both the environmental level and economic level. I hope my piece reminds people to be more aware before leaving a place to power off.