An Activists’ Journey

An activist is defined as: a person who campaigns to bring about political or social change.

My passions lie within the realm of environmental issues. I am taking a class called, Environment & Society this semester and my favorite lecture thus far has been on environmental justice and social activism. It has been a movement that arose out of a spearhead of groups in the 70s and is still going on today. It is sad to see individuals so blind about environmental issues going on in our world every single day. Our job is to speak up and not turn back. All we can do is change our habits in hopes that by electing politicians that support our causes, justice will be served.

Climate change isn’t stopping for anyone, so we need to start being activists in order to break through with radical change.

On January 20th, I attended the Women’s March in Greenville, SC. The sun shined on a group on us Greenbelters (a group of environmental living and learning community members) from Furman University as we sang songs, and yelled at the top of our lungs for the powerful community speeches along with the crowd of thousands in attendance. Showing up is all we had to do, and showing up is all you have to do make a change.

The Women’s March was founded a year ago as a reaction to Donald Trump being elected into the White House in 2016. But most importantly the motive behind it all was to have women raise their voices and come together as a collective body to fight for equality in our country. Guess who started this movement? An activist.

I have been to my fair share of protests, activism meetings, and corner street rallies, thanks to my parents that thrived in the 70s.

However, last year was my first year going to a protest without my parents, and that was to the People’s Climate March in downtown Greenville. I rounded up a friend who is now living with me in the eco-cabins and has continually supported me on my activist journey. We made posters that read, “It’s getting HOT in here…” and “Save Our Planet…Climate Justice NOW!”

For the Women’s March, we got those same permanent markers out and drew up a sign that read, “They tried to bury us but they didn’t know we were seeds.” An activist is like a seed spreading their passion for a particular issue out into the community. By showing up and supporting a designated cause you are given a voice. By educating yourself with your cause you are becoming empowered. By sharing your stories and passion you are making an impact. Now all you need to do is don’t stop and live it out.

As I held my sign up high and proud at the March, I realized that was exactly where I needed to be. Yes, I am a college student and have plenty of other obligations and work to attend to, but where I was, was where I was meant to be.

Our lives are surrounded by a general motive to find our purpose in this world. Most people think they find this through getting an education, or finding a job they love, but at this stage in my life I have found my purpose in activism. Not a sideline or background activist, but an activist that despite it all will show up. Will you show up?

-Amie Newsome

Bibliography:

Mazzio, Jenna. “So You Want to Be an Activist? 8 Ways to Get Involved in Causes You Care About.” One Green Planet, 19 July 2014, www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/how-to-get-involved-in-causes-you-care-about/.