Shopping Sustainably

If there’s anything I’ve learned from my time in the Greenbelt so far, it’s that there’s no one, singular way to live sustainably–there’s a lot of different options for different people. I know that I personally have a hard time abstaining from buying products that aren’t “green.” However, in the past few months, my eyes have been opened to so many options for more sustainable shopping experiences.

The Farmer’s Markets downtown and in TR are such a great way to get involved with the community while simultaneously buying local green products. They sell everything from potted plants to soaps and lotions. The products are all cruelty free, which is very important to me (and in retrospect should have seemed obvious). And while I know a lot of students think Farmer’s Markets are really cool, I feel like I never really see young people there. We live in a really cool city and there are lots of options for fresh produce, crafts, and foods that are good for the environment and the local businesses.

My other favorite sustainable shopping place is through thrift stores. According to Tagpop, an online thrift shop, less than 15% of the clothing used by Americans is recycled even though around 95% could be reused. It’s so easy to just buy new clothes, but that ends up being a lot of textile going to waste when we outgrow things or get tired of wearing them. How often do we set aside clothes and put them in bags or buckets and mean to donate them, but never do? It just accumulates.

Instead of buying my clothes from the mall or in boutiques, I really enjoy getting it from stores like Tagpop or Goodwill or other second-hand or vintage stores. You can find some really great articles of clothing or housewares that way. It’s better for the environment because I’m removing textile waste by buying clothes that are pre-loved instead of something brand new. Plus, it’s easier on my college budget!

I’m not perfectly sustainable. But living in the Greenbelt has taught me that there are little ways I can make my lifestyle better, and if that means buying plants from a vendor in the street or skipping on a cute dress downtown, I can definitely handle that!

Source: https://www.tagpop.com/pages/mission

–Cammi Stilwell