Be More Sustainable

Living in Greenbelt always makes me consider if there is anything I could do to be more sustainable. Following the living guide strictly is not easy, because it changes our previous habits. Although it needs time to develop a new sustainable living way, I am willing to have a try.

Drying machines cost lots of energy. Although they saved time, they are not necessary in every situation. This semester, I try to reduce the use of the drying machine if I can use the drying racks. Sometimes, drying racks could even reach better result than drying machines do. For example, some sweaters, and clothes made from silk and cashmere are more suitable for drying racks than drying machines. Drying machine will make damage on clothes, like shrinking… Also, I’ll use drying racks for clothes that I would not wear for next couple days.

Also, I reduced the use of the refrigerator. I used to have a habit that I put almost everything in the refrigerator no matter the package is opened or not, even it is not necessary to do it. Now I would carefully read the instruction at the back of package to see if I could store it in a cool place instead of the refrigerator. For example, I will put the unopened milk, grains, cereals, and nuts in a cool place.

-Ruiwei Gao