Meet Me by the Tree

Furman has trees? Who knew??? Hopped up on Einstein’s coffee and DH cookies, rushing to Plyler to sit in lab for three hours, then to the library for a while to stare into a screen as the day darkens and the screen brightens, then back out again for an RLC meeting, and finally I plop into my bed around midnight to do it all over again tomorrow. This is the life of a Furman student, with some minor changes specific to each person. See, what I’ve noticed since being at Furman is that even though we have one of the most beautiful campuses in the country, we spend most of our time inside. Yea, I get my daily dose of the outdoors when I walk to class too, but is that really enough? Take one step onto Furman’s campus and you can see our multitude of trees that surround the campus, but where are all the people enjoying it?

And while the major talk at furms right now is why all the trees are being cut down I’m gonna talk about the ones that are already here. Just a stones throw away from our humble aboad (The Cabbage) is the lovely lake. And right beyond that is what I like to call the Furman Forest. With walking trails and hidden ponds, there’s a whole different world behind main campus. I’ve wandered around enough to find the serene walking trails that intertwine within the woods. And only a small sign points you in their direction, but once you’ve found the trails you can’t believe you’re still on a college campus. There’s no wifi, no buildings, no remnants of humanity besides maybe the trail itself, but somehow it’s still interesting. Taking a moment away from the craziness of Furman can actually calm you. Yea netflix helps too, but there’s something about the outdoors that takes your mind off the stress of classes. So if you want to kick back, relax and forget about your troubles for just a few minutes each day…meet me by the tree.

-Celia C