Greenbelt, We Lake it a Lot.

Imagine waking up every day to the sound of birds chirping, the smiles of friendly visiting, and a view that one could only dream. Every day I find myself falling deeper in love with the cottage I now call my home. I mean how can you not love waking up to the sound of chirping birds, smiling visitors, and a beautiful campus. The friends I have made and the community is simply irreplaceable. I can’t imagine my year without them. They are your personal cheerleaders—standing on your side telling you “you can do this” and keep the momentum going. Within the first weeks there, I found out quickly how important the community feel would be. Whenever I was in need of help, I could easily look to my neighbors to help solve or aid me. For instance, recently I injured myself—as always— and neighbors kindly provided a band-aid. Shout out to my neighbors! It is a beautiful thing having a group of people who have connected sheerly on location. I look up to every single one of them— mostly because I’m 5’2, but eh why not.

Besides the community, I have found that living in an eco-cabin has sprouted much intrigue from my friends on what exactly “living in an eco-cabin” implies. By no means, am I a poster child for eco-friendly living—I don’t typically fit into the “eco-friendly housing” mold so many have sculpted. I didn’t like short showers and unfortunately, to my dismay, I didn’t know what exactly was recyclable and what was not, but Eco-housing are not only for those already eco-friendly being— no— I would argue anyone who has the will to change fits the eco-cabin mold. Having adaptable mindset is all that is essential. I came in being a terrible resident of the planet earth and now I have compromised with our lovely planet. I take a 7-minute shower now (sorry 5 minutes is still too short), I know the differences in recyclable materials, and arguably I feel more eco-friendly in nature. Change is good they say and for the most part, they are right. Change is good when it is for the better.

.fullsizerender-jpg

–Juhi S.