Veganism.

“Why are you vegan?” is probably the single most commonly ask question I have received in the few months since I started my venture into the world of veganism. A lot of people choose the vegan lifestyle as a more ethical option; it is kinder to animals, after all. For me, though, being vegan was about choosing a healthier lifestyle.

I am now 4 months into being vegan, and I’m very happy with it. A lot of people hear about being vegan and say, “I could never do that!” and write it off completely, without ever trying it. When you really commit to it though, it’s simply not that difficult. The food is just as good (if not better), and part of the fun is trying to make vegan versions of your old favorite foods.

I’ve also experienced numerous positive changes since going vegan. Being vegan has encouraged me to branch out a lot. I’ve tried new cuisines that I don’t think I would have otherwise. There’s also been foods (vegan crab cakes have been my favorite) I’ve tried, that I would have written off, too. Most importantly, I’ve lost a good amount of weight, and I feel more energized and healthy than ever.

Another big upside to being vegan is the environmental impact. I’ve always been somewhat eco-conscious, but I’m not the poster child for living green by any means. Looking into the numbers, though, can be startling.

The meat production industry is singlehandedly responsible for one-fifth of the greenhouse gasses polluting our atmosphere. That is more than transportation, which most people tend to point the finger at. Even if you were to still eat dairy and eggs, you would be eating a diet that uses 2.9 times less water and 13 times less fertilizer than a carnivorous diet. In terms of water use, the livestock industry accounts for 8% of global water use, and in terms of land, 70% of previously forested land in Latin and South America have been used for pastures to feed livestock. The list of problems associated with a carnivorous diet go on: livestock waste problems, water pollution, and several others.

On paper, it sounds obvious that being vegan really is a better diet. As a man with first hand experience, I can vouch that it isn’t as hard as it might sound initially, and I’d definitely encourage everyone to try going vegan.

– Jack G.