Ring by spring

I am so excited to announce to y’all that I got engaged this past Tuesday. Yes it’s true, I got engaged. Furman Engaged that is!

Lol, did y’all actually think I got engaged? To begin with, the only committed relationship I’ve ever been in is with pizza (food in general). Second of all, in the little while that you know me, do you think that I am ready to get engaged? Free as a bird, and single as a pringle, I continue my trip through life. However, I did have an awesome time at Furman Engaged! My day started early in the morning, because I had to set up my poster in the PAC by 8:45AM. Since the lovely chemistry department knows how much I enjoy waking up early and having to look presentable and show up on time, they assigned me the first poster session which went from 9AM to 10:20AM. In case you didn’t spot the sarcasm in this past sentence, I hate early morning. But research and science are worth the sacrifice.

FU engagedFor the past year and a half I have been working on solar cell science and specifically designing compounds that we can use as dyes for dye sensitized solar cells. What that means basically is that I spend hours in the lab synthesizing compounds with funky colors which can be attached to a solar cell surface, and create a beautiful colorful structure that can be used to decorate buildings and produce energy from the sun!!! Wow, that was a mouthful.

But Furman Engaged is more than just showing off all your work. You also get a peek into everyone’s pass time, passion, and investment. Often it is hard to realize how much time Furman students put into the things they love, and the things they are passionate about. There’s been so many times when people I meet get surprised at the fact that I am a chemistry major going into research. Most people think I am a communications major, or something more energetic/social because I tend to be loud and happy all the time, so it’s hard for them to picture me in a lab setting doing something seemingly boring. But, even though I think I could be good at communications studies (with a little bit of improvement of my English), chemistry amazes me and it keeps me interested in what I am doing. So here you go. Never judge a book by its cover. Always judge a poster by the way it looks though. Like, for real, if the research poster looks bad, just walk away. (Totally random but relative too somehow?)

Anyway, my day was followed by a lunch with my lab, walking around the rest of the posters for a while, a photo shoot for Furman’s view book (this literally came out of nowhere, they needed people last minute, so I decided to invest in my modeling career), a dinner/meeting with the Admission Ambassadors Exec, and a second dinner with my freshman roomie, friend, and future roomie, Maura!

As you can see I’m staying busy. Maybe it’s because I am trying to suck in all the Furman I can before I graduate next May…