World, meet the “family”

Last weekend was family weekend. Unfortunately my parents didn’t make it because the Pope had to use our private jet for his US tour (this is sarcasm btw). But that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy some good “family” time. In the past years, my freshman roommate’s family adopted me for the weekend and we enjoyed some good meals and time together. My freshman roommate was the first person I could talk to about life as I would to a close friend back home. I feel her more like a sister at this point because I’ve spent so much time with her and her family either at Furman, or during breaks going to her house. However, this family weekend was different.

Last Friday, my friend, his Dutch roommate and I were picked up by my friend’s brother and we drove to Columbia, to his parents’ house. We had been planning this day since the summer and it was everything we wanted and more! The reason we went to Columbia, is because we wanted to go to the Moon Taxi concert there on Saturday. The concert was INSANE. You know these bands that are great to listen to but their live performance is like a thousand times better? Well, that was the case for Moon Taxi. Their energy was just amazing. We were on the second row, and we were dancing and singing to their songs all night long. Did we end up drenched in sweat? Yes, we did. Was it worth it? TOTALLY.

The opening act was this guy with a guitar and his drummer, and their name was firekid. His debut album was just out that Friday, and my friend and I loved it, when we looked it up and listened to it that morning. The funny thing is that nobody really knew who he was because everyone had showed up for Moon Taxi, so at the end of the concert when we went to the back of the venue to get band t-shirts, firekid was just casually hanging out there and only us and 3 more people saw him and talked to him. I actually got a great picture with him as we were chatting about his music and someone from our group snapped this candid one:

Overall, this weekend was just amazing, and even though my family didn’t make it, I am glad that my friend’s family adopted us for the weekend, and satisfied our needs for some family attention. I am also very grateful for this past weekend because it definitely brought me, my friend, and his Dutch roommate closer together (I don’t include names for privacy reasons). I grew up thinking of friends as family, and spending a weekend with them definitely helped us appreciate our friendship more and spend some quality time that we often miss in the craziness of academics and school.

IMG_4656        IMG_4664

PS: Waka Flocka Flame was here this past Tuesday, but I’m sure nobody knows who he is… (sarcasm again) (YES HE WAS SUPER COOL)

PSS: I’m typing this as I’m listening to the new Moon Taxi album called “Daybreaker” which JUST came out, wearing the T-shirt I bought at the concert. CRAZY HOW THINGS WORK!