Taking a Break

There is a delicate balance between working and resting. As Spring Break becomes more and more concrete, and the countdown feels reasonable, I have to remember to focus on the ‘working’ aspect of school. Unfortunately, Midterms are the week before the break. Midterm week means there are more late nights in the library, but it also means longer lunches in the dining hall, pushing off the work I could be doing.

This semester I have had a lot of reading in my classes and not as many tests or quizzes. In fact, up until the midterms, I had had no graded assessments in most of my classes. This seems wonderful because it means less urgency to study for tests etc. throughout the semester, but it also means I have to be diligent and devoted to doing each and every assignment so the amount of information won’t become overwhelming during midterms. Either way, I always find myself overwhelmed before the break as I try to check each assignment off my ‘to-do’ list.

Because of this midterm buildup to Spring Break, I was very ready for break. I came home [to the ATL] for break this year, and it has been a wonderful decision. I may be getting a little jealous as beach pictures appear on all forms of social media and as I realize my Vitamin D deficiency, but I am happy to be home.

I spent Fall Break abroad, nestled in the rolling hills of Tuscany, running through the vineyards and sailing with Italians, but good old Marietta, GA has its perks too. I have had my very own bedroom to wake up in each morning. I have had home-cooked meals and a family to share them with. I got to be home with my sister as she went off to her first Prom. I just finished a book for fun. I have thought about doing homework. It has been lovely to just relax and enjoy a break.

So, in summary, here’s my advice. During each break in college, whatever you do, relax. It’s so important to put school aside for at least a little while and catch up with friends, catch up with family, catch up on sleep. And in just a few short days, let everything begin again! But for now, I have another book [for fun] to read, many more movies to watch, and a lot more sleeping to do.

1185
Fall Break: Cooking Class in Italy
1404
Fall Break: Sailing the Ligurian Sea
11050109_522403661233250_6979440050670072993_o
Spring Break: ATL with the fam. Sending my beautiful little sis off to prom!