Happy Homecoming!

Happy Homecoming!

Topping the list of my favorite traditions at Furman is Homecoming week! During my sophomore and junior years at Furman, I served as a Homecoming chair for my sorority. I chaired the banner and skit competitions as a sophomore, and the banner competition as a junior. It was so much fun – one thing I have definitely learned from my membership in campus organizations is, the more involved you are, the more fun you have.

This year I was also honored as a member of the 2014 Homecoming Court – I was sponsored by the Furman Panhellenic Council. The members of Homecoming Court (six senior men and six senior women) are honored to participate in many Student Alumni Council Homecoming activities (for instance, we introduced the Homecoming Skit competitors), and of course, we were privileged to stand on the football field for the Homecoming Ceremony at halftime of the game yesterday!

Since I love Homecoming week so much, I thought I would share my top five favorite memories of Homecoming through the years at Furman (and add some pictures for illustrative accompaniment!)

1. My sophomore year, the Friday of Homecoming was on my 20th birthday! This was the year that I chaired the Homecoming skit for my sorority, so I was extra hyped up for the performances!

2. Becoming friends with the other Homecoming chairs during the time I served as one – it was a great way to build friendships with people from other organizations and also within my own, and some of my closest friends have come from working together on these events

3. Seeing all the alums who come back for the Saturday of Homecoming – I was able to see many friends and sorority sisters who returned for the events this year, including my great-grandbig, Virginia, who graduated in December of 2011. It was wonderful to see her!

4. The annual Homecoming carnival, sponsored by FUSAB (Furman University Student Activities Board) and SAC (Student Alumni Council) – they always bring in food and carnival rides, and everyone hangs out on the mall and pomps the Homecoming floats together. It is so much fun!

5. And of course, being honored on Homecoming court and escorted by my sweet friend Justin for the Homecoming Ceremony at halftime, has to make the list! Thanks Justin! 🙂

I was a little nostalgic yesterday thinking about how this year was my “last” Homecoming as a Furman student. But then I was reminded (by all the returning alums who were happy to be back) that Furman will always be my “home,” – I will absolutely be back for the events and reunions next year!

Check #HomeAtFurman for lots of pictures from Furman Homecoming this year!

My great-grand big, Virginia!

My beautiful friends from my freshmen hall – still my closest friends at Furman! 🙂

My darling freshman roommate Kelly!

Furman events aren’t complete without a picture with my fellow blogger Nathan!

Right before the Homecoming Ceremony at halftime with my friend Justin!