Crossing the Bridge: Moving Forward

How has Crossing the Bridge successful in its first year?

Check out this slideshow of pictures from the Crossing the Bridge program

There is no data to show the impact Crossing the Bridge has had on students’ graduation rates. This is the first year the program has been in place, so the students who went through the summer program are still in their freshman year of college. Numbers are not available yet, but it is easy to see the importance of the program has had on students’ lives.

College access is a two-part problem for many low-income and first-generation students, a study by the U.S Department of Education says college access is a two part problem:

1. Students “are at a disadvantage in gaining access to postsecondary education.”
  2. “Even those who overcome the barriers and do enroll have difficulty remaining enrolled and attaining a degree.”

Bridges to a Brighter Future’s goal is to fix the first problem by giving students the help they need to graduate from high school and enroll in college. They have achieved this goal and are one of the premier college access programs in the area, receiving a number of honors awards.

They have recently expanded their mission with the Crossing the Bridge program. Through the intensive summer program, and the constant contact and support, Crossing the Bridge hopes to enable Bridges to a Brighter Future students to achieve their goals of college graduation.

According to Tobi Swartz, Director of Bridges to a Brighter Future, “It is too early to tell what the ultimate rewards and outcomes are going to be from Crossing the Bridge, but we are definitely seeing that we are able to infuse ourselves at times where they really need support”

Students recognize the impacts of the program and are definitely noticing a difference. Christian Barrientos, a freshman at Furman University and a participant in the Crossing the Bridge program says:

I came in to college with an upper hand in many of my classes because for the last 4 summers I have participated in the Bridges program. Crossing the Bridge’s summer session helped me better understand and prepare for college life, this made the transition from high school to college much easier for me. I’m so grateful for this opportunity, wouldn’t change it for the world”

Assistant Director Casey Crisp, has learned a lot in the last 9 months. She organized the Summer Program and she is in constant contact with students by phone or visits. Through her experience in this inaugural year Crisp has developed new goals for the program.

“I hope that in the coming years we can grow in the areas of financial assistance and alumni relations. We would love to be able to provide more scholarships for students and secure funding for computers and books, etc. We also believe that building alumni connections, will be strengthen our program in the long run.”

This last year has also learned Crisp a lot about what specific programs, and resources are available to students at their schools. Learning more about the schools her current students are at, will help her to direct students to them in the future and form important relationships with the resources and counselors at schools.

For more information about Crossing the Bridge Check out my video!

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/q8l3BWFUzaQ" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

Thanks for reading!

Lindsey A.