FIT Rx: Health Science Majors Promote Exercise as Medicine

If we could bottle up all of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, it would be the best selling prescription drug in the world.  This semester, Furman Health Science majors offered it to the Furman community for free.

It was a part of the newly launched FIT RX Internship in Individualized Exercise Prescription in the Furman Department of Health Sciences.  Eleven Health Science majors implemented healthy lifestyle interventions with 55 Furman faculty, staff members, and spouses.  The premise is simple– regular physical activity and a healthy diet can alleviate or eliminate many of the chronic diseases that we face today.  Exercise is Medicine.

Please meet our FIT Rx Interns pictured above:

Top row from left to right:  Ellen Barr, Alex Cross, Annelise Weir, Molly Makela, Nathan Klabunde, Danielle Burt

Bottom row from left to right:  Caitlin Shelton, Dana Duffett, Suzanne Howell, Emma Williams, Shelby Rimmler

Students bridge theory with practice

FIT Rx fulfills one of the elective classes that HSC majors may take to fulfill their major requirements.  They complete staff training, read and discuss scientific research about the optimal lifestyle strategies to prevent and reduce chronic disease, and accumulate 120 hours of field work during the semester.  The FIT Rx interns are seniors or juniors who are preparing for health careers in fields such as Medicine, Physical Therapy, Public Health, Health Promotion, and Nutrition.

FIT Rx is centered around our participants

Furman faculty, staff, and spouses may apply to participate in FIT Rx at no cost.  Participants complete an application with their schedule availability, health history, limitations, and goals.  We offer many assessments from which participants may choose including assessments of aerobic capacity, muscular strength, muscular endurance,  flexilbity, DEXA body composition analysis, and three day food record analysis.  FIT Rx interns assist with the development of exercise programs (beginner through advanced), modifications for individuals with sensitive joints, instruction on Fitness Center equipment, training to walk or run races such as a 5K, aquatic exercise, suggestions for home-based exercises and more.

Participants are raving about their experiences in FIT Rx:

“This program was extremely beneficial!  There is no substitute for the personalized attention. It was geared towards me!  My needs, my interests, my goals… I have been able to learn at my own pace.”

~ Laura Baker (Library)

“This is an awesome, wonderful benefit. I have someone to be accountable to, and someone to help me through the hesitation about going to the gym.”

~ Mike Hawley (Facilities Services)

“I think FIT Rx is an invaluable program and have been telling co-workers about it and how much I have enjoyed it! I also think that it is very beneficial for the students. It gives them an up-close and personal look at problems that many people face daily.  It’s one thing to read about this kind of thing, but I would think it would be an eye-opener to get to see it in a one-on-one situation.”

~ Judy Rose (Financial Services)

“I feel this is an excellent program. It provided me with the encouragement that I needed to get back on track and in the gym.  I loved having a personal trainer tailor a program specifically for me.”

~ Danielle Burt and Susan Hey (Development) walk in the PAC during lunch

“I love this program and think it is very worthwhile. Having a one-on-one trainer has been great–someone to assist me with questions or if I’m unsure about my form or the type of exercises I need to do. Also, I feel uncomfortable going into the PAC by myself so it’s been nice to have someone go with me.  It has made me be more diligent with an exercise program. I liked having someone help me with a workout routine to change the way I have exercised in the past.”

~ Patti Travis (Human Resources)

“I enjoy the workouts.  I used to only be able to complete 10 minutes on the bike and am now ready to move to 17.  On one of the weight machines, I began at 25 pounds and am now at 55. ”

~ Sherry Craze (Biology)

“My student, Nathan, is pre-med, and I think this was a good learning experience for a future doctor. He was very encouraging and a pleasure to work with.  I think it’s helpful for students to become aware that there are adults who are not fit but who want to do better.  We are so different from them in age and ability that it’s probably an eye-opening experience for them.”

~ Dr. Susan D’Amato (Physics)

“I think having the HSC majors to work with you was the best part for me.  I’ve learned a lot about healthy eating and a  better lifestyle. Suzanne is GREAT!”

~ Allen Gosnell (Facilities Services)

“The student intern I have is excellent—very informative and helpful. He is knowledgeable about issues for older adults like arthritis and helpful in explaining the specific muscle targets of the exercise machinery. Thank you so much for providing this fabulous benefit.”

~ Judy McKenney (Riley Institute)

We hope to offer FIT Rx again in the Fall of 2014 and Spring of 2015.  Be sure to email subscribe to this Live Well Furman blog so you will receive immediate notification when the next session is released.