Furman Alumni Librarians Part 5: Brian Green ’98

Photo of Brian GreeneBrian Greene ’98

This is part 5 in our weekly summer blog series in which we will be highlighting some of the amazing Furman University alumni who have pursued careers in library and information science professions. Click here to view previous posts in this series.

Today’s featured alumni librarian is Brian Greene who graduated from Furman in 1998 with a bachelor of arts in religion. He then went on to earn a master’s of theological studies in the Hebrew bible from Harvard University. Four years after that Greene completed a second master’s degree this time in library and information science. These two degrees serve him well in his current roles as the subject librarian for religion and philosophy and the head of information Delivery and Access Services.

What has been your professional path to your current position?

“I started out in libraries as a work-study student during graduate school. I loved surrounding myself with the rich collections at the Harvard Divinity School Library. It was also a great way to network with the faculty & with other students.  After graduation, I decided to stay in Boston and work in the Harvard University Library system for a couple of years before applying to PhD programs in Hebrew Bible, and it was then and there that I first began to see libraries as a career path.”

Tell us a little bit about how you chose to work as a library and information professional?

“Back in the early 2000’s, Harvard University offered its Library employees a great deal – full tuition coverage at Simmons University’s School of Library and Information Science. Never one to pass up an opportunity for a free education, you could say they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse!”

What is the most interesting library in which you’ve worked?

“That depends on what you mean by interesting!  At Northeastern University, where I’ve worked for the past 15 years, there’s never a dull moment, since I work in public services. I’ve seen the university transform itself from a regional campus into a truly international, global research community. We have the 3rd highest international student population in the country (after NYU and USC) and I am really privileged to get to know so many of these students.”

What is something you have been surprised by during your career?

“I’m surprised I’ve spent my entire work life in New England, having grown up in the South. I’ve even lost my southern accent! I don’t miss the politics, but I do miss the food.”

Is there a particularly fond memory from your time at Furman that you would be willing to share?

“Definitely the mentoring relationships with the Furman Faculty, especially those in the Religion Department.”

James B. Duke Library Tagged ,