Skip navigation

The burning of the Furman Bell Tower, the scarlet fever quarantine of 1906, the May Day pageants of Greenville Woman’s College – all this and more can be found in the new “Furman Historical Images” digital collection. Spanning 150 years, the collection contains nearly 2800 photographs and glass plate negatives of Greenville Woman’s College, Furman’s old downtown campus, and the construction of Furman’s current campus. The images have been digitized from materials in Special Collections and Archives. Although they have been available online for over 5 years, the images now include detailed descriptions created by Rick Jones, Digital Collection Center Manager, and Kathie Sloan, Digital Projects Specialist. The descriptions identify the people, places, and situations of the photographs, and enhance the searchability and usability of the collection.

For an up-to-date list of Furman’s digital collections, please visit:

Furman University Library Construction

Early construction of the James B. Duke Library on Furman’s new campus, as seen from the roof of Furman Hall. The large front porch and columns are clearly seen. On the far left in photo is Manly Residence Hall, the first residence hall built on the new campus. Manly Hall was completed in 1956. The library construction was completed in 1958.  Copyright Furman University Special Collections and Archives.