Meet the Fall 2015 FIT Rx Trainers!

20150913_155421

This fall, thirteen Health Science majors are participating in the FIT Rx Internship in Individualized Exercise Prescription.  They will receive academic credit for learning how exercise is medicine and applying the fundamentals with our faculty, staff, and spouses.  As you can see, they are excited to help you begin or improve your exercise program.

I am pleased to introduce our Fall 2015 FIT Rx Trainers:

From left to right (top row):  Sarah King, Haley Holan, Molly Vernon, Kalie Hicks, Kelly Humes, Olivia Downing, MacKenzie Gaines

From left to right (bottom row):  Paige Bartholomew, Ashley Trice, Ashley Cookey-Gam, Bethelyn Brown, Jordan Ellis

Not pictured:  Macy McRaney

Paige Bartholomew (Senior)

Intended Career Path: Public Health

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Peaches

Exercise History: Running, basketball, soccer, swimming

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I want to help people become healthier and achieve their fitness goals.”

Bethelyn Brown (Senior)

Intended Career Path: Nursing or Physical Therapy

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Carrots

Exercise History: Dancing for entire life, currently on Furman dance team, began running in college

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I want to learn how to explain and prescribe exercise.  I want to instill the same passion I have for exercising in others.”

Ashley Cookey-Gam (Junior)

Intended Career Path:  Physical Therapy

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Salmon

Exercise History:  Various sports, weight training, currently on Furman’s lacrosse team

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I love working out and I knew I would enjoy sharing my love for fitness with others.  It is also extremely rewarding to help and support people as they reach their goals.”

Olivia Downing (Senior)

Intended Career Path: Dentistry

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Carrots, apples

Exercise History: Various sports growing up, currently exercises in the PAC

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I am interested in learning more about exercise and diet and the application of both of them.”

Jordan Ellis (Senior)

Intended Career Path:  Dentistry

Favorite Healthy Food(s):Very colorful salads and black bean cakes

Exercise History:  Basketball, football, sports, started a regimented weight training program in college

Why he wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I am interested in helping the Furman community and giving back to the school that has given so much to me.”

MacKenzie Gaines 

Intended Career Path: Undecided

Favorite Healthy Food: Avocado and blueberries

Exercise History: Pure Barre, running

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I love to be around people and hope I can help others love exercise as much as I do.”

Kalie Hicks (Junior)

Intended Career Path: Physical Therapy/ Sports Conditioning

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Any type of kale salad with salmon/ tilapia and steamed vegetables

Exercise History: Currently on Furman Softball team

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I would like to gain more experience as an exercise trainer and I also love working with people.”

Haley Holan (Junior)

Intended Career Path: Public Health

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Strawberries

Exercise History: Club soccer, varsity cross country and track

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “Exercise is something that not only makes me strong and better physically, but also mentally.  I love that I will be able to share my passion with others!”

Kelly Humes (Senior)

Intended Career Path: Physical Therapy

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Avocado, apples

Exercise History: Various sports (volleyball, basketball, gymnastics, soccer), recently completed a Pure Barre and Group Exercise Certification class

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I want the opportunity to work one on one with other people and learn more about the process of individualized training.”

Sarah King (Senior)

Intended Career Path:  Public Health

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Squash and spinach

Exercise History:  Various sports such as basketball and softball, currently exercises in the PAC, participates in intramural sports, and training for a half-marathon

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I want to meet others who are striving for a healthier life and help them to obtain that goal.  I also hope to learn how to develop health programs for individuals.”

Macy McRaney (Junior)

Intended Career Path:  College Strength and Conditioning Coach

Favorite Healthy Food(s): All kinds of fruit, beans, grilled chicken

Exercise History:  Various sports such as softball and volleyball, currently on Furman Golf Team

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “I love fitness and want to help others.  Fitness can be hard if you don’t know where to start and I want to encourage people.”

Ashley Trice (Junior)

Intended Career Path: Public Health or Occupational Therapy

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Fruits, vegetables, peanut butter

Exercise History: Lacrosse since age 6, volleyball, currently on Furman’s lacrosse team

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “Exercise is a big part of my life since I am an athlete.  I want the opportunity to learn more about health and exercise and share my knowledge with others.

Molly Vernon (Senior)

Intended Career Path: Doctor, Pediatrician

Favorite Healthy Food(s): Any fruit and roasted vegetables

Exercise History: Various sports, varsity soccer, volleyball, basketball, Pilates, Barre, recently ran a half marathon

Why she wanted to participate in FIT Rx:  “FIT Rx is a good opportunity to learn more about exercise.  I love people and exercise so it seemed like a perfect fit.”

FIT Rx will be offered in the Fall and Spring semesters.  It is open to Furman faculty, staff, spouses, and dependents and no cost.  To learn more, please contact Kelly Frazier at kelly.frazier@furman.edu.

20150913_155330