Salmon Cakes with Brown Rice Pilaf, Broccoli, and Pineapple

I was raised in Maryland, well known for blue crabs and crab cakes.  This recipe is reminiscent of my beloved crab cakes but much more affordable.  It uses boneless, skinless canned salmon which is readily available in most supermarkets.

The moistness comes from fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs.  Just toast some whole wheat bread slices and pulse them in a clean coffee grinder or food processor so they look like this:

I would imagine that dry whole wheat breadcrumbs would work well also but you will need to scale down to use significantly less than the recipe calls for.  I prefer the fresh breadcrumbs because they keep the salmon cakes exceptionally moist.

Combine the breadcrumbs with egg, scallion, Old Bay seasoning, and canned salmon.  I found this brand of canned salmon at Publix (pictured below) for $1.25 per can.  Trader Joe’s carries a no-salt added variety.

Serve over a simple brown rice pilaf with steamed broccoli and pineapple.  A taste of the tropics.  You can almost smell the ocean breeze….

Click here for the printable recipe.