› Blogs ›New Students Blog
Get Ready for Summer Orientation!
We are so excited to meet you during Summer Orientation – the Office of Student Activities and Orientation Team has been working hard to plan an exciting and informative visit for you!
For those of you unable to attend Summer Orientation: We will miss you! Please make sure you have completed this form, indicating that you will not be attending, so that we can have an academic advisor get in touch with you and assist with course registration.
For those of you registered to attend Summer Orientation, there are a few items that you need to complete prior to attending. If you have already completed these items, thank you!
- Take your New Student Survey.
- Complete your language placement test – click here for French, German, and Spanish; and click here for Latin.
- Review the First-Year Writing Seminar themes to prepare for initial course selection.
One of the key things you will need do to prepare yourself for Summer Orientation is to review the First-Year Writing Seminar interdisciplinary themes before you arrive on campus.
All new students are required to complete a First-Year Writing Seminar (FYW) during their first year at Furman. These seminars are a graduation requirement designed to expose you to the expectations of college-level writing, pose challenging intellectual issues, and engage you in thoughtful discussions with your classmates. Each seminar is attached to one or more interdisciplinary categories and is limited to no more than 12 students per class.
You will need to come to Summer Orientation prepared to select up to three seminar themes (for example, Artistic Expression or Mass Media & Popular Culture) that interest you. If you click on a specific theme, you will see a list of potential seminars that fall under that them. Note that not all of these seminars are offered every year, which is why you are asked to select the general themes that are most interesting to you. More information will be shared with you when you arrive on campus, but please make sure to come prepared to discuss your top choices.
You will also meet with a Summer Advisor during orientation who will help explain Furman’s academic requirements and assist you with the initial course selection process. Your permanent academic advisor will be assigned later in the summer and you will meet with that person when you arrive at Furman in August. If you would like to begin thinking about the courses you might want to take, feel free to look through Furman’s course catalog, but there is no rush to have your schedule completely planned prior to attending orientation as you will be assisted with the course selection process. It is also important to note that not all courses listed in the catalog are offered every semester, or even every year, but reviewing the catalog can assist you as you start to plan your academic path as well as help you prepare in advance for your meeting with a Summer Advisor.
We will provide bed linens and towels for your overnight stay, but you will need to bring toiletries. There are community bathrooms in the residence halls, so keep that in mind as you pack. Casual attire is appropriate for Summer O – we want you to be comfortable! Sometimes the residence halls can be a bit chilly, so you might want to bring an extra blanket or sweatshirt.
Unfortunately, we are only able to house new Furman students during Summer Orientation, so parents, family members, or other guests accompanying you will need to make accommodations at a local hotel. (For a list of hotels in the area, click here.) Again, casual attire is encouraged.
You will receive an email about 10 days prior to your Summer O session with some additional information and specific details.
Finally, a few quick reminders:
- We do still have several spaces available in the Paladin Outdoor Program (POP) trips that take place in August, just before the start of Fall Orientation. For additional information, and to sign up, visit the POP trip website. Don’t wait – these trips will fill up!
- It’s not too late to apply to participate in the Engaged Living This includes a new program this year, China and the Environment, which will culminate with a fully funded two-week trip to China next May!
- Please complete your medical and immunization history by logging into the Furman Patient Portal, using your Furman username and password. Please follow the detailed instructions for required immunizations, health history form, TB screening form and insurance information. The deadline for this is June 15.
Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions about Summer O, and remember: The New Students Website has many helpful tips and information to assist you!