Student Diversity Photo Contest Winners

In October 2017, the Furman Libraries and Center for Inclusive Communities launched the Furman Student Diversity Photography Contest. They sought digital photographs that represented what diversity and inclusion looked like to Furman students. In addition to the photographs, students were asked to submit a brief description that told the story of the photograph. Staff and faculty representatives from the Center for Inclusive Communities, the Libraries, the Art Department, and a student representing the Student Diversity Council judged the submissions and selected the following winners:

1st Place

Two laughing girls cuddling together

Photographer: Anna Peddle, Undergraduate Day Student

Description: This photo was taken of two  students who have been dating for about a month now. They are my two best friends at Furman, and I could not be happier they are together 🙂

2nd Place

Group of students with solar eclipse glasses looking up at sky

Photographer: Kelsey Milian, Undergraduate Day Student

Description: The day of the Solar Eclipse marked a change at Furman. When all the light faded for seconds, the crowd cheered and clapped, and these sophomores anticipated a new college year. It would be a year of challenge and stress, but it would also be one that meant opportunity and the chance to make a difference in all their campus involvement. They are a different kind of Furman.

3rd Place – Tie

Three smiling African-American students with popsicles

Photographer: Shalick Smith, Undergraduate Day Student

Description: This photo represents three different people with totally different interests and backstories with a mutual love of King of Pops popsicles.

3rd Place – Tie

Group of diverse students standing together facing the camera

Photographer: Chelsea Joseph, Undergraduate Day Student

Description:

“When I fly back to the US from Pakistan, I book my flight keeping in mind that I will spend eight hours in the airport for further questioning because my passport is Pakistani.”

“There are stereotypes that all Asian people eat their pets, which just isn’t true.”

“Furman has achieved diversity, but now we need to work on the inclusion.”

“Yet again, I am the only person of color in my class.”

“What do you think of when you hear the word Mexico?”

“Is there a bomb in your bookbag?”

“Where will I be in 2 years, I won’t have citizenship, but the US is all I know.”

“The killings of black males has really affected me as a black male athlete.”

“There is a mask that I have to paint on each day and it gets harder and harder to put it on each day.”

“I am screaming for help.”

“Recognize that I am human first and not different.”

“Recognize that I am diverse, I am different, and I am me.”

Digital Collections Center, Events, James B. Duke Library, Maxwell Music Library, Sanders Science Library, Special Collections, Student Activities Tagged