Guest Post: Bologna

Wow! Hello from Italy. I cannot believe that we have been here for more than a month now! It seems like yesterday that we were leaving Greenville. Right now, we are in Bologna, Italy, located just north of Florence. Because of the University of Bologna— the oldest university in Europe— the town seems very young and alive. Honestly, we stand out in Bologna much more than Florence or Rome because there are no tourists here. It has been neat to experience a city that does not revolve around tourism though.

Our group has spent the last couple of days touring around some of Bologna’s biggest churches and important museums. Daniela, our knowledgeable tour guide, has given us the cultural background and highlights of the San Pedro Basilica, the church of San Dominico, and Bologna’s governmental buildings. We even went into one of the city’s libraries, which used to house the school and were able to see their old anatomy classrooms.  One of my favorite highlights was seeing University of Bologna’s museum. They actually had terracotta anatomical models from their medieval and renaissance anatomy classes. I think our group appreciated the fun change-up, especially our science majors Chelsea and Brittany.

Today was a free day from touring. Several members of our group went to Predappio—Mussolini’s hometown. They said it was really fascinating because there are people that still love him and visit the town regularly.  I decided to stay back and relax today. Kathryn, Hannah, and I went to a wonderful little place for lunch called “Eataly.”(They have one in New York if you are looking for a delicious meal!) We had THE BEST tortellini (Fun Fact: Bologna actually invented tortellini) After lunch, we strolled the streets and popped into some of the market booths and shops. Tomorrow we are going to Ravenna to see Dante’s tomb and some important churches there!

We miss you America!
-Hilary Dahl
Italy 2012