Finals Schminals

It’s almost finals, which means it already feels like finals, but you still have classes to attend, so it’s like finals but where you go to classes to get more work for more finals. It’s a contradictory phrase. The problem with Furman is that it’s in sunny beautiful South Carolina and I feel bad studying because I should be enjoying the weather, but I also feel bad enjoying the weather because I should be studying. SO I have a solution (actually 7) for you, so it feels like you are doing both. No FOMO for you!

1. Study outside the library during food truck day. It’s kinda like you are at a picnic but the food tastes better than anything you could ever pack in a picnic basket, and also the whole school is there. But beware of interruptions from all your friends who never seem to have to study.
  2. When you aren’t good at those interruptions. Study on a second floor patio of Trone. Either the big one outside of Watkins or the small one by the FUSAB office and you will have both a quiet atmosphere and a view of the lake.
  3. Study on top of a mountain. At falls park. Near a lake. All of those are within driving distance to Furman and provide sufficient outdoor areas for studying. Of course bring the books because the computer won’t be necessary.
  4. When you need Wifi ride, your bike to TR for crepes, coffee, and calculus. See how I just slipped that calculus in there, when you are doing things like crepes and coffee, calculus is almost disguised enough to not ruin your whole day. Plus time on the swamp rabbit will totally satisfying your vitamin D deficiency.
  5. Have a friend at the Vinings OR live at the Vinings. #PoolLyfeStudying. My apartment is close enough where my wifi stretches, sure not everyone’s apartment is that close, but now you know to make friends with me.
  6. Move your workout outside. So this isn’t studying. But it is still productive. Sure the air conditioned pac is nice, and you won’t get to use your favorite elliptical that counts calories faster than the other ones, BUT you get to run around a lake AND the amphitheater is the perfect mid run stop for some quick calisthenics. #SacrificeForVitaminD
  7. Convince your teacher to have class outside. Seriously, then you get to cause the FOMO, not be susceptible to it. Sure it helps that I am a humanities major and most of my classes involve discussing literature BUT I did get my computer science class moved outside. Let me give you some phrases to help with the convincing “The sun helps to foster creativity . . .” “Vitamin D makes you happier . . .” “Let’s enjoy the beautiful landscaping  . . .”  “It won’t be loud because they already mowed this side of campus today . . .”