A Long-Overdue Thank You Note to my Freshman Roomie

to my neat, preppy, always-on-time, unable-to-nap roomie,

We met at Summer Orientation when we were randomly paired together as roommates for the night. When you walked into the room, my first impression was “She seems normal!!!” Thank goodness, because if you hadn’t appeared as such, I probably would’ve run from the room screaming, jumped in the car… and driven straight back to Nashville.

Our first picture! Roughly 30 minutes after meeting, basically strangers.

I’m so thankful that our moms were so chatty, because they filled the silence as only moms can do — I’m pretty sure within the first fifteen minutes, they had covered all of the conversation preliminaries and had jumped right into “friends” territory.

Thanks for being willing and able to carry on a conversation, because apparently our teeny-tiny (because like 5 of the people didn’t show up) orientation group was full of very silent people.

Thanks for carrying on the texting conversation throughout the rest of June, and finally biting the bullet and asking me to be your roommate…because I was trying to figure out how to ask the same question.

The best text I've ever received.
The best text I’ve ever received. (Look at how formal our texting is!!)

“Thanks” for sending me updates of your perfectly packed and labeled things throughout the rest of the summer……..please note that I packed LITERALLY the night before we left for Greenville and am not really thanking you for this because you were so organized, and i was so…not. (A common theme in our friendship)

Sorry I ignored your requests for FaceTimes throughout the summer. I was very scared of you.

Thanks for being my buddy throughout the first few weeks and walking with me to the DH every morning….and afternoon…..and evening.

Start of school carnival -- we were eachother's only friend!!
Start of school carnival — we were each other’s only friend!!

Thanks for making a big deal out of my birthday and leaving me cute notes on our whiteboard when I’ve been up late studying.

Thanks for letting me tell you things about my home friends that no one else cares about, and thanks for knowing my family and their various quirks, so when I send you a picture of the fam group chat, you’ll know exactly why I find it funny.

Thank you for all of the late nights that feel more like a sleepover or summer camp than school, and thank you for letting me send you every single Odyssey article that applies to our roommat-ionship. Thanks for tagging me in puppy instagrams and sending out a Christmas card with me.

Thank you for abiding by the age old “if you clean the mirrors, I’ll kill the spiders” rule and for bringing me endless dry toast when I am sick. Thanks for putting up with my love of keeping the window open, and for letting me use your toothpaste for a week after I kept forgetting to buy my own.

Thank you for letting me throw pillows at you in the morning so you’ll wake up and I don’t have to listen to your foghorn alarm go off for 20 minutes.

Thank you for ruthlessly killing every ant you see with Germ-X.

Thank you for letting my half of the room be messy sometimes, and for telling me when it is absolutely time to take a shower.

I wonder which side is mine?
I wonder which side is mine?

Thank you for letting me have my grumpy days and never bulldozing me, even though I know there are times when you just want to furiously clean my side of the room.

Thank you for adding a little bit of Lilly Pulitzer to my life, and thanks for letting me add a little bit of boho-chic to yours.

My kind of Lilly Pulitzer vs. the Ellie and Alexandra kind of Lilly Pulitzer

Most of all, thank you for being you. Living without you is unthinkable, and I am so grateful that you sent me that text on June 28th, 2015, at 11:23 am.

Chi O and Tri Delt -- living apart next year, unsure of what to do without each other
Chi O and Tri Delt — living apart next year, unsure of what to do without each other

Love,

your messy, scatterbrained, late, nap-loving roommate