It’s OK to Change Your Mind

College is all about finding yourself: what you’re good at, what you enjoy, what you’re meant to do for the rest of your life. That said, college throws curve-balls when you are least expecting them; the only thing that you can do to be prepared is to be flexible and open to new possibilities when faced with mind-blowing, life-changing events… Like changing majors.

You’ve probably heard it before… It’s OK to change majors. You really can still graduate on time. Your whole college experience thus far has NOT been a lie. Do you really believe them? You should.

As a college sophomore currently in the process of changing my major and pre-professional track, I’m not gonna lie and say that it isn’t stressful, because IT IS. Am I annoyed with myself for not figuring things out freshman year? You betcha. That said, I could not be MORE EXCITED for what my future holds.

To sum up what is going on in my life right now, I have decided that medical school is not in my future after all; my passion for music is too great, and I cannot picture myself having a career in any other field but music. Up until now, I was pursuing a BA in Music on the pre-med track. Now, I am looking into the possibilities of becoming a music teacher and professional violinist. Switching to a BM in Music Education is what I believe I am being called to do.

Big switch, right? Although my current situation is a little crazy, I feel genuinely happy and content with my decision, and I cannot wait to explore what all the world of music has to offer! Now, if you need me, you can find me in DMB (the music building for non-Furmanites).