Spring Fever

Spring is officially here! If last week’s 80° temperatures were any indication, Furman is well on its way into some brighter, warmer days. Since coming back from Spring Break, our beautiful campus has been replete with green grass, sunny skies and of course, purple flowers. With Easter Break right around the corner and the first glimpses of summer in sight, it’ll be a wonder if I get anything done for the rest of the semester. I thought ending last semester with Christmas so close was a distraction, but having weather like this and being stuck inside the library all day is infinitely worse. Here are some things I wish I could be doing instead of studying (and probably will do at some point, let’s be real).

1. Walking around the lake – I get so jealous every time I see families walking their dogs and kids riding their bikes. It reminds me of simpler times when Sundays were a day of rest instead of a day filled with all the work I neglected to do during the weekend.
  2. Tanning by Lakeside – Okay this one would be more like “burning” by Lakeside thanks to my forever-pale skin, but a girl can dream.
  3. Playing with my pups – Regrettably Furman is over three hours away from my house and my two favorite dogs and every time I see dogs around campus (which is multiple times a day) I’m always bummed that I can’t spend the day with my yellow lab/golden retriever mixes.
  4. Climbing Paris Mountain – I still have yet to make it up to our neighboring mountain but I hear it’s great this time of year.
  5. Biking the Swamp Rabbit Trail – I try to take advantage of our gorgeous campus and run or bike down the Swamp Rabbit, but unfortunately time just doesn’t permit it when I have a research paper, a lit paper and three tests in one week.
  6. Watching a baseball game – My family is big into baseball and my little brother plays Little League at home. Right around this time of the year they start going to his games almost every weekend. Granted half the time I’d rather read a good book than watch the game, but it’s still a good time.
  7. Reading an actual book – Having said that, I would love to just read a book. Not a textbook for a class or articles for my research paper, but an actual novel with a story line (preferably a sci-fi book…or a trashy romance novel as my mother so eloquently puts it).

Any of these things would be exponentially better than trying to extricate myself from the mountain of work, meetings, deadlines and classes that I am constantly under. Just over five more weeks before I am home free for the summer! Let the countdown begin!