Happy Family Weekend!

Great company, great food, great family! Let me tell you about Family Weekend at Furman!

As a freshman, it is one of the best weekends of that first semester. It falls at the perfect time – just after you’ve gotten pretty acclimated to the freshman-hall, roommate thing, and settled into your classes. Plus, by that time, you are more than ready to go downtown for a nice meal funded by your parents!

Sophomore year family weekend is even better because you’re in a place where you know tons of people from classes, your freshman and sophomore halls, and all the organizations you’ve joined. You are in your element, racing around, introducing your family to all your awesome friends. You still get the great dinner downtown (or in my family’s case, at Don Pablo’s – personal favorite of my dad’s) and you are completely comfortable with your knowledge of Furman, so you love showing your family around. My family even tagged along on my campus tour to prospective students that year.

By junior year, I assured my parents that it was no longer necessary to make the twelve-hour driving trek to Furman to see me (especially when Furman family weekend coincided with my younger sister’s.) Don’t worry! I loved Family Weekend regardless. Last year, I gave trolley tours to visiting families with my friend Sami for a couple hours in the morning, and then hit the tailgates. After the football game, I headed to Columbia with my sweet roommates Kayla and Kellie to spend the rest of the weekend there with their family.

And this year, I celebrated being an honorary family member of all my friends’ families! That’s what is so great about Furman…the reality that I feel so welcome and loved by my friends that I know I am more than welcome to join in on their family activities. I had Omicron Delta Kappa and Phi Eta Sigma inductions on Friday evening, and then headed downtown to Nosedive to have dinner with my best friend Caroline and her family. The next day, I gave trolley tours with Nathan (darling fellow blogger!) and spent lunchtime and the afternoon at the Pi Chi tailgate, talking to first-year students and their families about Greek Life. Later on, I had appetizers with my roommate Maria and her mom, and then watched the Carolina/Missouri game over pizza with Caroline’s family and some other friends.

Do you see why it is so much fun to embrace my “Furman family?” I get the best of all worlds – time with all kinds of people, doing all kinds of fun things. Of course I missed having my own parents at Furman, but the fill-ins were pretty unbelievable. I couldn’t have imagined better for my last Furman Family Weekend.

Freshman Year

Sophomore Year

Sophomore year, dinner at Trio with Caroline’s family and mine!

Trolley Tours with Sami

Junior Year Tailgate

Senior ODK InductionSenior year, dinner with Caroline's family at Nosedive!

Trolley tours with Nathan

Senior Year Tailgate[gallery]