Welp, I am tired.

First of all, I apologize about the format of these blogs. I am not the best when it comes to technology, so putting pictures into these blogs is difficult for me. I am only going to try my best to make my blogs more aesthetically pleasing, but I apologize if it looks like a first grader formatted these.

So this week, I participated in one of Furman’s great homecoming traditions. Just a quick review, I had to sleep in a tent outside of the library, I was not allowed to shower, I had to wear the same clothes (a dress, some tights and a wig), I competed in several competitions and I raised money for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

So, it started with eight of us on monday afternoon. We put all of our stuff in the tent and started to get to know each other. Next, came our first challenge. We had to deliver monologues to a crowd. It was so stressful, because I didn’t have a prepared monologue and I did it totally improvised. It went well I got some laughs, but my heart was still racing when they are about to announce who wold be immediately eliminated. Like, how embarrassing would it be if you didn’t even make it twenty minutes in a week long competition. Luckily, and with much surprise to us, no one was eliminated.

Next, we made our formal appearance to the student body as we trekked down to the DH for dinner. As we walked down the steps into the room filled with students, I realized that it was only the beginning of the weird faces I would be receiving that night.  I mean, when you have eight people looking like they are dressed up for an even crazier version of halloween, you are bound to get weird faces, especially if Halloween was a week before.

After dinner, we made our way back to the Library and we began searches for our scavenger hunt and also collecting money. We would be doing this throughout the week. After a couple of hours of that, we returned to the library for some study time, followed by bed time.

The first night in that bed was TERRIBLE. Within 30 seconds of putting my blanket on the ground, there was a big wolf spider with an egg sack on it. I have arachnophobia. Guess how I reacted? Oh you know, casually running out of the tent with the intent to leave my blanket forever. May or may not have shouted some things…

After someone bravely removed the spider from the premises, I reluctantly returned and went to bed. A couple of hours later, I awoke to the numbness of my toes and the fullness of my bladder. I immediately solved both by going into the 24-hour study room, before returning to the tent and realizing that it was 4am. It was impossible for me to fall back asleep, so I laid there for an hour and a half before we were woken up and taken to compete in crumpled-paper-ball basketball competitions. My new friend, Mary Poppins, and I ended up winning our round of rolling chair-basketball. Yea… BALLIN

As we moved to breakfast, I decided to stick to my 1 cup a day… but instead of using a mug from the DH, I used a normal drinking cup… So it was probably the equivalent of 3 cups of coffee… but since I only used one glass, I’m going to say I stuck to my rule… Right? Yea, sure. We’ll go with it. Besides, it didn’t help. I was full on riding that struggle bus first class to my philosophy class. After a couple of days of challenges and raising money, we found ourself coming to

Minnie, Carl (from UP), Hamlet and Mary Poppins representing HAVOC in the library.

the last night before the competition ended.

Here’s the deal, I don’t want to reveal all of the challenges. They were kept a secret from me for most of the competition so, I guess you’ll have to guess that the rest of my week consisted of secrets reserved only for those worthy (AKA YOU’LL FIND OUT LATER! Calm down, homie.)

So, throughout the week, us eight was widdled down to the top five. On thursday night, the top five- which included me- went to attend the Horseplay skits. There, we watched different greek organizations and engaged living students compete with skits that were adaptations of oscar winning movies. Also, we awaited our destiny.

The HAVOCers were called up on stage, and the top three were announced. Unfortunately, I was eliminated… BUT THREE AMAZING PEOPLE MADE IT! That was so exciting. That saturday, at the Homecoming football game (THAT WE WON! BOOM YEA), they announced who won the competition. I want to shoutout to all of the HAVOCers and say that this will most likely be one of the greatest weeks of my freshman year and that all of you rock, but HUGE SHOUTOUT to Daniel Hoilett, my RA, for winning the competition while raising money for the Allegro Foundation, which benefits kids with disabilities through the arts in Charlotte, NC.

All in all, it was a great week and I was able to raise $460 for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital!

Hit me up if you have any questions regarding anything!

Until next time,

Sam McCoy

sam.mccoy@furman.edu

Comments