Why hello there!

A little over a week and a half ago, I received some very exciting news, my sister was making a visit down to the great state of South Carolina all the way from the great state of Kansas. So, on friday, I hurried from my final class to the SoHo parking lot, hopped in my car, and made the drive to the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport. I arrived, went to the parking garage and GOT THE FIRST SPOT IN IT! I didn’t necessarily need to be that close, but you have to celebrate the little victories sometimes. I raced through the door looking cool as a cucumber, my usual swag, sprinted up the escalator and met my sister at the end of her terminal. It was so exciting to see her since we’ve been separated since August 18. My sister, Mary, is 15 years old and just started her sophomore year in high school. Even though she hasn’t really started thinking about where she will go to college, I was determined to sell her Furman and Greenville.

Our adventures began with a trip to Duke’s Sandwich company where I showed her exactly how good life can be with a good sandwich, soup and some peanut butter pie. We shared that thing, and let me tell you, it was the only time I’ve ever regretted self control and ballin on a budget. We could’ve put down 15 of those pies, no problem.

When we finally arrived on campus, I had to lift her chin because the beauty of campus was just too much for her to handle. I took her around on a campus tour and sowed her my favorite parts fo campus. Soon after that, my sister accompanied me to a HAVOC GAMES meeting. What are the Havoc games? I’ll tell you in a minute.. or two… depending how fast you are reading this. So we sat through that, then headed back to the dorm to grab some Furman gear before heading to the Furman vs. Georgia Southern volleyball game. My sister is a big volleyball player. I thought this would be a fun activity for us to do. I was right.

As we were walking to the gym where volleyball games are held, we ran into my chemistry professor, Dr. Kuklinski, and had a great conversation with him. Mary was a little surprised that I knew him so well and that I was able to talk to him like that. We went into the gym and sat with some guys that I’ve gotten to know pretty well. As the ladies took the floor and started the game, we realized how awesome our Furman paladins were when it came to volleyball. Now, I’m not going to lie, this was my first volleyball game since high school, so I was not anticipating the skill level that we witnessed. It was CRAZY! Georgia Southern was the number one ranked team in the Southern Conference; Furman was ranked number two, but that didn’t matter. WE KILLED THEM! We won 3 games to 1. I am pretty sure that I am using appropriate volleyball jargon. Anywho, it was a blast and a great introduction to Furman Sports.

After the game, I drove Mary to my favorite pizza place, Torrelli’s. We were too late to get the daily special special, but then we got our own GINORMOUS pizza. So delicious. Ugh, I can’t get over it. When you visit Furman, YOU SHOULD EAT AT TORRELLI’S! It is like a mile from campus and totally worth it. We had some leftovers and decided to be good people, so we took pizza to Daniel, my RA, during his late night shift. We also were nice enough to bring him some Peanut Butter Pie. What was supposed to be a short trip ended up taking 2.5 hours. But hey, when the conversation gets going, there is no stopping it.

That next morning, I took my sister to Tommy’s Ham House (Goodness, so much of this weekend had to do with food). Tommy’s is a Greenville favorite. My sister indulged in some sweet potatoe hot cakes and I got a bologna and egg biscuit. Our tummies were so full afterwards. We had planned to go hiking after dinner, but that quickly changed once we realized that we were not prepared to hike given the full-state of our stomachs. Instead, we made a trip to Goodwill, and then to Walmart, to get a dress and some tights. For what? Oh, I dunno… Our trip was successful so we returned to campus with an adapted strategy for the day.

We stopped by the DH for some coffee with my friends Alex, Sandy and Drew. After drinking coffee and spilling coffee (I swear, only cool people spill coffee in the DH). After convincing Alex to let us borrow her bike, my sister and I rode down the Swamp Rabbit trail until we stopped off at the grocery store so I could expose my sister to Kombucha, the greatest drink on earth. It is brewed up in Asheville, NC, and is so tasty and good for you. She thought it was delectable. As we sat outside on some benches and caught up on everything from school to boys (WHICH BETTER WATCH OUT) to volleyball to family and thanksgiving plans.

After riding back to campus, we each showered before getting a group of my friends together and eating at the Paddock. I ordered my usual Fish and Chips. In Kansas, you have to be pretty skeptical of seafood since you aren’t near the sea. But here in SC, I eat it up. After finishing my delectable meal, we headed to the Furman soccer game versus Wofford. It was a super fun game. Our team played great, but unfortunately lost. They put up a goood fight though. I mean, being a Top 20 team, I guess you need to let some other people have their fifteen minutes. Following the game, I was finally able to show Mary downtown as we spent more time with my friends.

After a long day, I was ready to go to bed, and so was she. So we went to bed. I dropped her off at the airport this morning after some very sad goodbyes. I hope I convinced her that Greenville is bomb.com. I guess we shall see where she ends up in the coming years, but she was happy to see that I was happy.

Okay, I’ve been keeping a secret from y’all. The Havoc Games. So, this coming week is Furman’s homecoming. This means that the Student Activities Board is putting on the havoc games. This year, there are about 9 competitors who will compete in a survivor-hunger games tournament. Us competitors will be sleeping outside of the library from monday until friday (assuming we aren’t eliminated unitl then). We will NOT be permitted to shower. We will have 1 outfit. Throughout the week, we will be raising money and competing in physical competitions. As we are eliminated throughout, we will be left with one victor. That person will be able to donate all of the money to a charity of their choice. I am choosing to sponsor St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Contact me if you would like to donate! (Even if I do not win, it is going to a great cause)

Now, what outfit will I be wearing? That set of dress and tights, of course! In order to apply for the games, you must pick a movie character that had qualities that you could use throughout the competition. Not knowing I would have to dress as them, I chose to write about Octavia Spencer’s Minny from the movie The Help. I am so excited for the Havoc Games, but I am not so sure how much I will like tights after this. I guess I’ll just have to keep you posted!

Until next time!

Sam McCoy

sam.mccoy@furman.edu

Comments